How the Virtual Show Works:
- Open to all hunter riders at the following heights: 18″, 2’, 2’6, 2’9″ and 3’
- To be judged riding over our predetermined HUNTER COURSE that you will adjust to your chosen height
- A helper records your round on video
- You email a link to your YouTube video to MHSAvirtualhorseshow@gmail.com. Please see the section below on how to record your video.
Note: Videos of rounds must be one continuous filming; unedited from start to finish.
Using a phone or video camera, have a helper video your round: Your helper will stand outside the arena, midway down the long side (see COURSE DIAGRAM for which side), ideally in an outdoor arena/field during the daytime. For best results, the camera should not be facing into the sun. An indoor or covered arena may be used if the lighting is good—the better the lighting conditions, the better you will look.
Prior to your opening circle, your video helper must show measuring tape beside one jump, and a panoramic view of the course. They will then hold up a cell phone displaying the date and time with you in the background, mounted on your horse. With the video still recording, speak into the camera and state your name, your horse’s name and the fence height you will jump. Proceed directly (no stopping and starting the video camera) to your opening circle and ride the course. The sound must be turned on throughout the entire video. From the time your round begins, make sure that you and your horse are in the video frame at all times and when jumping the fence, the entire fence is in the video frame.
No zooming in and out. (At a live horse show, the judge would not be able to zoom in and out.)
Upload your video to YouTube, (set to private if you want ) and email the YouTube link to MHSAvirtualhorseshow@gmail.com.
The name of your video must include: Rider Name, Horse Name, Fence Height, Course A or B, and the Date. (ex: Jane Darling riding Hercules – 2′ Course A – 8/14/2020)
1. The class is $25 to enter for course A, and an additional $20 for course B.
2. When entering the Maui Horse Show Association Virtual Hunter Over-Fences Show, I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ AND VOLUNTARILY AGREE TO THE RELEASE & WAIVER OF LIABILITY & INDEMNITY AGREEMENT which can be filled out online HERE. If you are unable to fill out the document online, please PRINT HERE, sign, and scan or take a photo with your phone. Completed waivers can then be sent to MHSAvirtualhorseshow@gmail.com.
3. You must set our predetermined hunter course (see downloadable course diagram). Choose your fence height (18″, 2’, 2’6, 2’9″ and 3’) and set all fences to that height. Be sure to include ground lines in front of every fence.
4. You must wear an ASTM/SEI approved helmet and appear in proper hunter-show attire; heeled boots and half-chaps are permitted. (Braiding is optional)
5. Your horse’s legs must be bare (i.e. your horse must not be wearing any boots, polos, bell, etc.)
6. Coaching during the test is not allowed.
7. The natural background sound for the test must be audible. Rounds with no sound at all will be disqualified and your entry fee will not be returned.
8. You must submit your video via a YouTube link to MHSAvirtualhorseshow@gmail.com.
9. If the judge determines that the horse appears lame, the judge has the right to eliminate the rider from consideration.
10. Horses and riders are required to abide by standard equipment rules for hunters. You acknowledge that by submitting your entry, you agree to abide by standard rules of fair play and for the welfare of the horse.
11. This virtual show will count toward end of year awards for all MHSA Members that participate in at least 2 virtual shows in 2020.
13. Tack must be what is legal per USEF Hunter Rules. Horses and riders are required to abide by standard equipment rules for hunters. You acknowledge that by submitting your entry, you agree to abide by standard rules of fair play and for the welfare of the horse.
13. Violation of any of these rules may result in the refusal to accept the entry or non-refundable scratch.
14. We will make every effort to judge this class fairly with the knowledge that there are inherent challenges to judging online shows that make it different from the real-life experience.
All riders will be judged on horse’s manners, performance, suitability and soundness. To take
into consideration the different fence heights, you will be evaluated on the judge’s
interpretation of the ideal for your chosen fence height (18″, 2’, 2’6, 2’9″ and 3’). The judge will
determine which riders come closest to those ideals collectively and will place riders in 1st–6th
place for the one class.
Lehua Gardanier was born and raised on Maui. She grew up in the horse community
competing in Hunter/ Jumpers, Dressage, and Rodeos. She also participated in
many 4H competitions across the state of Hawaii. Lehua got her B.S. degree in
Equine Sciences at Colorado State University with a concentration in Equine
reproduction. While living in Colorado she competed in many Hunter/Jumper
shows across the Region. She also trained many horses and taught lessons at the
Four Winds Equestrian Center. When she moved back to Maui she opened up
Maukalani Stables in Olinda. While there she trained horses and taught lessons in
all disciplines for a few years. Currently she is continues to help out the Maui Horse
Show Association, always wanting to promote good horsemanship and continual
Class results will be posted on MHSA webpage and the first 6 place finishers will be notified by
email. Your video will be seen only by the judge and members of the MHSA Board. They will
not be posted publicly.
Prizes will be awarded for 1st through 6th place.
Entries and video submissions must be received by August 31, 2020
Non-Members must pay a $25.00 non-member fee per virtual horse show
Become a Maui Horse Show Association, Inc Member! Membership fees are discounted (if you already paid full price for membership at the beginning of the year, email us for a refund of the difference), and you can add your membership to your entry!
You can also scan completed Membership Forms to MHSAvirtualhorseshow@gmail.com
Visit our Membership Page for more information on becoming a member!
Register and Pay HERE
Please email questions to MHSAvirtualhorseshow@gmail.com.